As we round up the last 10 days of Mental Health Awareness Month, one thing I wanted to share with you guys are 5 AMAZING videos that cover mental health. These videos were found when I was in a dark place with depression, these videos were found when I needed a reason to continue with life, these videos gave me insight and perspective when my anxious mind only let me believe one thing, that my life was worthless.
A couple of them are experts in the field and the other few are other people who have struggled with the same illnesses telling their story. I feel like it’s important to not only watch these if you find yourself struggling with your own mental health but it’s also important for people to watch if you find a loved one struggling so that you may get an insight as to what they are feeling when they cannot put into words what is going on their head.
When I was feeling confused, alone, worthless, useless and many other things my mental illnesses were making me believe I just needed to hear that other people were going through the same thing and I was not alone. It made me believe in the light at the end of the tunnel because if they could continue the fight then so would I.
here are my 5 must watch mental health videos
- I watch this video on repeat often. This video gives me the strength to fight when I am at my lowest. It lights a fire under my ass to know that my thoughts are not who I am or what I will become. It is a motivational video covering all things mental health.
- I came across this video last month when I was doing research on mental health and all I can say is WOW. If there is one video I would recommend watching from this list, it is this one. Andrew Solomon takes you into his own depression, and he puts it into words that really can give an outsider an insider perspective. He is a mental health advocate and is truly knowledgable on the topic.
- Jake Tyler’s story is truly inspiring about his open struggles with depression. He speaks on what depression has felt like during his adulthood, the time he believed he would die from his mental illnesses and what he does to cope.
- This Ted Talk is crazy because Sarah Liberti goes into how social media has become a joking playground to talk about wanting to kill one’s self. She speaks to the fact about how we as a society either actively or passively post about death and how it has become norm.
- This video is like video #1 above in the sense that it is a motivational video to get you through your roughest battles with your own mental illnesses. It is amazing.
&& A bonus video… The Bridge Between Suicide and Life.
- Sergeant Kevin Briggs was the cop on call to the Golden Gate Bridge where many suicide attempts occur. Briggs gives a powerful piece of advice to those with loved ones who might be contemplating suicide. Everyone should watch this because it amazing what this man did and how he has used his stories to help others.
I hope these videos give you the strength and courage they have given me to continue my battle with mental health. It has helped me to hear other’s stories and my hope is that they can help you in the same way.